Video

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

THE CONSULTANT DIARIES

Here is a "story" that my wonderful upline, Karen Morris shared with the team at her LeaderShare last month in Las Vegas.  It made me chuckle and wonder if she was spying on me!  It is days like this that prompted last weeks topic.  After you read this little tale, go back and re-read last weeks post.  Perhaps you will see how the techniques listed would have helped this consultant!  Do you identify with her?  At the end of her day, what tasks did she actually complete?  What tasks were left unfinished?


THE CONSULTANT DIARIES
by Karen Morris

             This morning I woke refreshed and ready to take on the day.  This was my “work” day to get caught up on all things Close to My Heart.  I was going to get organized and get my business back on track.

             But first, a healthy breakfast…. most important meal of the day, right?  And I need my strength for the big “work day” ahead. 

No sooner had I pulled out a cereal bowl when my phone rang.  It was my friend -- she wants to host a gathering (terrific!) but she wants to do it THIS WEEKEND.  Uh, sure, no problem. 

I was so excited about having a Gathering drop into my lap, that I forgot about breakfast and went straight to my office.  Idea Books!  Oops-  still in shrink wrap and not labeled with my info.  Went to the file cabinet and realized I didn’t have any printed labels ready.  Another oops.  Turned on the computer, and began printing labels for the back of my Idea Books. 
While they printed, I decided to quickly check email.   Read a Company Update and wondered if my name was listed as a contest winner so I popped over to the corporate consultant website and looked at “Recognitions” page.  Nope, not this time.  Of course, it might have helped if I had turned in my contest entry on time.  Well, better luck next time, right?

It had been a while since I’d checked out the BB so decided to see what was new there.  Great ideas!  Then I saw a post mentioning something about a Gathering.  Oh yeah--- I needed to get a hostess packet together.  Now where were those invites?  Hmmm….. what was the Stamp of the Month this month?

Back to the computer to print out SOM fliers.  While I’m here, I thought, let’s check out the Art BB for SOM art ideas.  Cute ideas.  Print some.  Oops -- printer is out of ink.  Rats!  INKS!  Did I order those new Ink Colors?  Let’s see….. Ummm… well maybe I can use something from Gatherings and Workshops on the Go and back to the computer I went.

Remembered that I had started putting together a Hostess Packet.  But oh, I didn’t have any cute envelopes to hold the materials so stopped to stamp one.  The phone rang before I even had the stamp mounted on the acrylic block.

It was my DL who called to see if I had any extra bulk black button brads……
Hmmm….. where did I put those?  After several minutes of searching, I found the “organizer” that had slipped behind my stash of OLD idea books.  I called the DL and she came right over.  Then she spent the next 30 minutes telling me about a new recruit lead she had and was really excited about.

Recruits.  That’s another thing that I should probably do… have some cute recruiting basket for the Gathering, too.  So I pulled out my new paper kit then went Blog Hopping in  search of inspiration when a new email popped up.  A quick check of that and back to the Blog Hop when the phone rang…..



My sons scout leader called to remind me it was our turn to bring treats to the den meeting.  I took a quick break from my “work day” to mix up some brownies and toss them in the oven.

             Oh my gosh - I couldn’t believe the time!  The phone rang again - it was my UPLINE calling to remind me about Convention.  I really want to go so had to stop and balance my checkbook to be sure there was enough money in there.  And while I was thinking about Convention, figured I’d better go back to the BB and post something about finding a roommate.
I was reading the newest posts (since my earlier visit to the BB today) and someone had posted their great experience with EZ Invite.   Oh, I realized I should set that up for my hostess right away.  Before I finished setting it up, the doorbell rang.

It was the mailman with lots of priority mail boxes…… my team’s swaps had arrived and needed sorting.  No time like the present, right?  As I was sorting, I found that one of the participants had forgotten to include a return address label.  LABELS.

Labels!  Oh yes - forgot about the labels that were printed several hours ago and needed to be put on the back of the Idea Books.  I sighed.  There is NOT a clear workspace for labeling catalogs so I moved back to the kitchen, cleared the counter, and put away the unused cereal bowl. 

That’s when I realized I’d missed lunchtime and it wouldn’t be long before dinner.  DINNER!  I forgot to pull meat out of the freezer for dinner.  I grabbed a piece of chocolate and another Diet Coke but something caught my attention…. a smell of burning….. BROWNIES!

It was too late.  I pulled the brownies out of the oven and they resembled something more like charcoal briquettes than sumptuous chocolate treats.  What now? 

Hoping against hope that there would be something in the pantry - a package of stale cookies, crackers, SOMETHING that would work for cub scouts, I rummaged around and found….  LIQUID GLASS.  Ah yes.  My DH  had used it last week to repair his model airplane.   Maybe I could demo Liquid Glass at the gathering…..

Shout-Outs:

Congratulations to 1st downline Ginni Candelaria (no. 2) and Lisa Sargent (no. 13) for
Highest Number of My Acrylix® Stamp Sets Sold in March!

Creative Corner: 
Here are some cards from my customer classes in March and April.  The coffee cup, chair and vest cards were inspired by artwork from the CTMH Artwork bulletin board.  There are so many wonderful artists who are generously share their talents!






Quote of the Week:
Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast - you also miss the sense of where you are going and why. "
Eddie Cantor

2 comments:

  1. Naomi, I am so glad you shared your fabulous blog with us. Congratulations on your 20 years. I've been reading back through your posts and I see why you have been so successful for the past 20 years. I plan on reading back through each one because they inform and inspire me.
    This last article really hit home. Made me realize I need to get organized! *Ü*

    ReplyDelete
  2. The story is a hoot! What a great reminder of how quickly the day can slip by without focus! Also love the cards! Great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Facebook